Hi , this picture is about Brushed Nickel Towel Bar Rack Ideas Countertop Hand Stand Chrome Shelf Bathroom Standing Bath And Beyond . ( Countertop Hand Towel Stand #6). It is a image/jpeg and the resolution of this file is 630 x 976. This blog post's file size is only 27 KB. If You desired to download This picture to Your PC, you might Click here. You might also see more photos by clicking the following picture or see more at this post: Countertop Hand Towel Stand.
6 photos of Brushed Nickel Towel Bar Rack Ideas Countertop Hand Stand Chrome Shelf Bathroom Standing Bath And Beyond . ( Countertop Hand Towel Stand #6)
Countertop Hand Towel Stand performs activities especially for office employees who perform function task at the office. The office seat is not just like a way of rewarding certain requirements that really must be possessed by any company / business entity engaged because they do. On the basis of the efficiency or functionality couch comes with an important purpose in deciding the image of the person inside the place and purpose of each, for example needless to say, of the couch for the director, should be modified to his place.
It's difficult right, seats for staff / employees receive the LARGE BOS. Besides a par with other team later, it also gives the perception that is bad for his management, what he said later. A reprimand and sometimes even termination might be attack by us. Why should modified with Brushed Nickel Towel Bar Rack Ideas Countertop Hand Stand Chrome Shelf Bathroom Standing Bath And Beyond . ( Countertop Hand Towel Stand #6) based on the location or function? It is important in command to generate it seem professional and also have authority.
In addition to that, occasionally we are confused. Brushed Nickel Towel Bar Rack Ideas Countertop Hand Stand Chrome Shelf Bathroom Standing Bath And Beyond . ( Countertop Hand Towel Stand #6) that we need while at-work is important, but to the other hand we likewise experience shame, office chairs where we've been there it is only the shape and coloring have not been suitable.
Independent of the capabilities or needs an office chair also likes workers as well as a coloring that may be field your motivation to work and also generally matched together with the colour of office rooms. Don't underestimate choose an office that is comfortable seats since you will find cozy workplace seat is likely to make you forget the time in the work as well as your work's results additionally facilitates optimum in his work.
In this instance, there are some essential things in picking an office couch for the company you need to know and consider.
- Select A guaranteed manufacturer office seats, office chairs will often have both thighs of the couch, hydraulic, a warranty of 2 years, along with the biceps of the chair through the agreed.
- Alter the color of the couch with your flavor and color of the business furniture.
- Choose a seat according to the budget / desires of the firm.
- Pick A seat that's comfortable when you sit-down or a comfortable foam.
Brushedbrushed (brusht),USA pronunciation adj.
- having a nap raised or a surface produced by a brushing process: brushed cotton.
Nickelnick•el (nik′əl),USA pronunciation n., v., -eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.) -elled, -el•ling, adj.
- a hard, silvery-white, ductile and malleable metallic element, allied to iron and cobalt, not readily oxidized: used chiefly in alloys, in electroplating, and as a catalyst in organic synthesis. Symbol: Ni;
at. wt.: 58.71;
at. no.: 28;
sp. gr.: 8.9 at 20°C.
- a cupronickel coin of the U.S., the 20th part of a dollar, equal to five cents.
- a nickel coin of Canada, the 20th part of a dollar, equal to five cents.
- to cover or coat with nickel;
- costing or worth five dollars: a nickel bag of heroin.
Toweltow•el (tou′əl, toul),USA pronunciation n., v., -eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.) -elled, -el•ling.
- an absorbent cloth or paper for wiping and drying something wet, as one for the hands, face, or body after washing or bathing.
- throw in the towel, [Informal.]to concede defeat;
yield: He vowed he would never throw in the towel.
- to wipe or dry with a towel.
Barbar1 (bär),USA pronunciation n., v., barred, bar•ring, prep.
- a relatively long, evenly shaped piece of some solid substance, as metal or wood, used as a guard or obstruction or for some mechanical purpose: the bars of a cage.
- an oblong piece of any solid material: a bar of soap; a candy bar.
- the amount of material in a bar.
- an ingot, lump, or wedge of gold or silver.
- a long ridge of sand, gravel, or other material near or slightly above the surface of the water at or near the mouth of a river or harbor entrance, often constituting an obstruction to navigation.
- anything that obstructs, hinders, or impedes;
barrier: a bar to important legislation.
- a counter or place where beverages, esp. liquors, or light meals are served to customers: a snack bar; a milk bar.
- a barroom or tavern.
- (in a home) a counter, small wagon, or similar piece of furniture for serving food or beverages: a breakfast bar.
- the legal profession.
- the practicing members of the legal profession in a given community.
- any tribunal: the bar of public opinion.
- a band or strip: a bar of light.
- a railing in a courtroom separating the general public from the part of the room occupied by the judges, jury, attorneys, etc.
- a crowbar.
- Also called bar line. the line marking the division between two measures of music.
- See double bar.
- the unit of music contained between two bar lines;
- an objection that nullifies an action or claim.
- a stoppage or defeat of an alleged right of action.
- [Typography.]a horizontal stroke of a type character, as of an A, H, t, and sometimes e.
- (in tracery) a relatively long and slender upright of stone treated as a colonette or molded.
- [Building Trades.]
- an iron or steel shape: I-bar.
- a muntin.
- one of a pair of metal or cloth insignia worn by certain commissioned officers.
- bars, the transverse ridges on the roof of the mouth of a horse.
- a space between the molar and canine teeth of a horse into which the bit is fitted.
- (in a bridle) the mouthpiece connecting the cheeks.
- bride2 (def. 1).
- a horizontal band, narrower than a fess, that crosses the field of an escutcheon.
- [Obs.]a gateway capable of being barred.
- at bar, [Law.]
- before the court and being tried: a case at bar.
- before all the judges of a court: a trial at bar.
- behind bars, in jail: We wanted the criminal behind bars.
- to equip or fasten with a bar or bars: Bar the door before retiring for the night.
- to block by or as if by bars: The police barred the exits in an attempt to prevent the thief 's escape.
- to prevent or hinder: They barred her entrance to the club.
- to exclude or except: He was barred from membership because of his reputation.
- to mark with bars, stripes, or bands.
but: bar none.
Rackrack1 (rak),USA pronunciation n.
- a framework of bars, wires, or pegs on which articles are arranged or deposited: a clothes rack; a luggage rack.
- a fixture containing several tiered shelves, often affixed to a wall: a book rack; a spice rack.
- a spreading framework set on a wagon for carrying hay, straw, or the like, in large loads.
- a wooden frame of triangular shape within which the balls are arranged before play.
- the balls so arranged: He took aim at the rack.
- a bar, with teeth on one of its sides, adapted to engage with the teeth of a pinion(rack and pinion) or the like, as for converting circular into rectilinear motion or vice versa.
- a bar having a series of notches engaging with a pawl or the like.
- a former instrument of torture consisting of a framework on which a victim was tied, often spread-eagled, by the wrists and ankles, to be slowly stretched by spreading the parts of the framework.
- a cause or state of intense suffering of body or mind.
- violent strain.
- a pair of antlers.
- [Slang.]a bed, cot, or bunk: I spent all afternoon in the rack.
- to torture;
torment: His body was racked with pain.
- to strain in mental effort: to rack one's brains.
- to strain by physical force or violence.
- to strain beyond what is normal or usual.
- to stretch the body of (a person) in torture by means of a rack.
- to seize (two ropes) together side by side.
- rack out, [Slang.]to go to bed;
go to sleep: I racked out all afternoon.
- rack up:
- [Pool.]to put (the balls) in a rack.
- [Informal.]to tally, accumulate, or amass as an achievement or score: The corporation racked up the greatest profits in its history.
Ideasi•de•a (ī dē′ə, ī dēə′),USA pronunciation n.
- any conception existing in the mind as a result of mental understanding, awareness, or activity.
- a thought, conception, or notion: That is an excellent idea.
- an impression: He gave me a general idea of how he plans to run the department.
- an opinion, view, or belief: His ideas on raising children are certainly strange.
- a plan of action;
an intention: the idea of becoming an engineer.
- a groundless supposition;
- a concept developed by the mind.
- a conception of what is desirable or ought to be;
- (cap.) [Platonism.]Also called form. an archetype or pattern of which the individual objects in any natural class are imperfect copies and from which they derive their being.
- [Kantianism.]See idea of pure reason.
- a theme, phrase, or figure.
- a likeness.
- a mental image.
Countertopcount•er•top (koun′tər top′),USA pronunciation n.
- a counter, as in a kitchen, esp. when covered with a heat- and stain-resistant material.
- designed to fit or be used on a countertop: a countertop microwave oven.
counter1 + top1]
Handhand (hand),USA pronunciation n.
- the terminal, prehensile part of the upper limb in humans and other primates, consisting of the wrist, metacarpal area, fingers, and thumb.
- the corresponding part of the forelimb in any of the higher vertebrates.
- a terminal prehensile part, as the chela of a crustacean, or, in falconry, the foot of a falcon.
- something resembling a hand in shape or function, as various types of pointers: the hands of a clock.
- index (def. 8).
- a person employed in manual labor or for general duties;
laborer: a factory hand; a ranch hand.
- a person who performs or is capable of performing a specific work, skill, or action: a real hand at geometry.
characteristic touch: a painting that shows a master's hand.
- a person, with reference to ability or skill: He was a poor hand at running a business.
- a member of a ship's crew: All hands on deck!
- Often, hands. possession or power;
control, custody, or care: to have someone's fate in one's hands.
- a position, esp. one of control, used for bargaining, negotiating, etc.: an action to strengthen one's hand.
- means, agency;
instrumentality: death by his own hand.
active participation or cooperation: Give me a hand with this ladder.
direction: no traffic on either hand of the road.
- style of handwriting;
penmanship: She wrote in a beautiful hand.
- a person's signature: to set one's hand to a document.
- a round or outburst of applause for a performer: to get a hand.
- a promise or pledge, as of marriage: He asked for her hand in marriage.
- a linear measure equal to 4 inches (10.2 centimeters), used esp. in determining the height of horses.
- the cards dealt to or held by each player at one time.
- the person holding the cards.
- a single part of a game, in which all the cards dealt at one time are played.
- [Roman Law.]manus (def. 2).
- hands, [Manège.]skill at manipulating the reins of a horse: To ride well, one must have good hands.
- a bunch, cluster, or bundle of various leaves, fruit, etc., as a bundle of tobacco leaves tied together or a cluster of bananas.
- [Mach.]the deviation of a thread or tooth from the axial direction of a screw or gear, as seen from one end looking away toward the other.
- the position of the hinges of a door, in terms of right and left, as seen from outside the building, room, closet, etc., to which the doorway leads.
- the position of the hinges of a casement sash, in terms of right and left, from inside the window.
- Also called handle. the fabric properties that can be sensed by touching the material, as resilience, smoothness, or body: the smooth hand of satin.
- [Archaic.]a person considered as a source, as of information or of supply.
- at first hand, firsthand (def. 1).
- at hand:
- within reach;
- near in time;
- ready for use: We keep a supply of canned goods at hand.
- at second hand, See second hand (def. 3).
- at the hand or hands of, by the action of;
through the agency of: They suffered at the hands of their stepfather.
- by hand, by using the hands, as opposed to machines;
manually: lace made by hand.
- change hands, to pass from one owner to another;
change possession: The property has changed hands several times in recent years.
- come to hand:
- to come within one's reach or notice.
- to be received;
arrive: The spring stock came to hand last week.
- eat out of one's hand, to be totally submissive to another;
be very attentive or servile: That spoiled brat has her parents eating out of her hand.
- force one's hand, to prompt a person to take immediate action or to reveal his or her intentions: The criticism forced the governor's hand so that he had to declare his support of the tax bill.
- from hand to hand, from one person to another;
through successive ownership or possession: The legendary jewel went from hand to hand.
- from hand to mouth, improvidently;
with nothing in reserve: They looked forward to a time when they would no longer have to live from hand to mouth.
- give one's hand on or upon, to give one's word;
seal a bargain by or as if by shaking hands: He said the goods would be delivered within a month and gave them his hand on it.
- hand and foot:
- so as to hinder movement: They tied him hand and foot.
- slavishly and continually: Cinderella had to wait on her stepsisters hand and foot.
- hand and glove, very intimately associated: Several high-ranking diplomats were found to be hand and glove with enemy agents.Also, hand in glove.
- hand in hand:
- with one's hand enclasped in that of another person.
- closely associated;
conjointly: Doctors and nurses work hand in hand to save lives.
- hand over fist, speedily;
increasingly: He owns a chain of restaurants and makes money hand over fist.
- hands down:
easily: He won the championship hands down.
incontestably: It was hands down the best race I've ever seen.
- hands off! don't touch, strike, or interfere! keep away from!: Hands off my stereo!
- hands up! hold your hands above your head! give up!
- hand to hand, in direct combat;
at close quarters: The troops fought hand to hand.
- have a hand in, to have a share in;
participate in: It is impossible that she could have had a hand in this notorious crime.
- have one's hands full, to have a large or excessive amount of work to handle;
be constantly busy: The personnel department has its hands full trying to process the growing number of applications.
- hold hands, to join hands with another person as a token of affection: They have been seen holding hands in public.
- in hand:
- under control: He kept the situation well in hand.
- in one's possession: cash in hand.
- in the process of consideration or settlement: regarding the matter in hand.
- join hands, to unite in a common cause;
combine: The democracies must join hands in order to survive.
- keep one's hand in, to continue to practice: He turned the business over to his sons, but he keeps his hand in it. I just play enough golf to keep my hand in.
- lay one's hands on:
- to obtain;
acquire: I wish I could lay my hands on a good used piano.
- to seize, esp. in order to punish: He wanted to lay his hands on the person who had backed into his car.
- to impose the hands in a ceremonial fashion, as in ordination: The bishop laid hands on the candidates.
- lend or give a hand, to lend assistance;
help out: Lend a hand and we'll finish the job in no time.
- lift a hand, to exert any effort: She wouldn't lift a hand to help anyone.Also, lift a finger.
- off one's hands:
- out of one's charge or care: Now, with their children grown and off their hands, they will be free to travel.
- successfully completed;
finished: The lawyer planned a vacation as soon as the case was off his hands.
- on all hands:
- by everyone;
universally: It was decided on all hands to take an excursion.
- on every side;
all around: piercing glances on all hands.Also, on every hand.
- on hand:
- in one's possession;
at one's disposal: cash on hand.
- about to occur;
imminent: A change of government may be on hand.
- present: There were not enough members on hand to constitute a quorum.
- on or upon one's hands, under one's care or management;
as one's responsibility: He was left with a large surplus on his hands.
- on the other hand, from another side or aspect;
conversely: Itwas an unfortunate experience, but, on the other hand, one can learn from one's mistakes.
- out of hand:
- beyond control: to let one's temper get out of hand.
- without delay;
at once: The crisis obliged him to act out of hand.
- no longer in process;
finished: The case has been out of hand for some time.
- without consideration or deliberation: to reject a proposal out of hand.
- shake hands, to clasp another's hand in greeting, congratulation, or agreement: They shook hands on the proposed partnership.
- show one's hand, to disclose or display one's true intentions or motives: The impending revolution forced him to show his hand.
- sit on one's hands:
- to be unenthusiastic or unappreciative;
fail to applaud: It was a lively show, but the audience sat on its hands.
- to take no action;
be passive or hesitant: While he was being beaten, the others sat on their hands.
- take a hand in, to take part in;
participate in: If the strike continues, the government will have to take a hand in the negotiations.
- take in hand:
- to undertake responsibility for;
assume charge: When both parents died, an uncle took the youngster in hand.
- to deal with;
treat of: We'll take the matter in hand at the next meeting.
- throw up one's hands, to admit one's inadequacy, exasperation, or failure;
despair: When the general received reports of an enemy build-up, he threw up his hands.
- tie one's hands, to render one powerless to act;
thwart: The provisions of the will tied his hands.Also, have one's hands tied.
- tip one's hand, to reveal one's plans or intentions before the propitious time.
- to hand:
- within reach;
accessible or nearby.
- into one's possession: A search of the attic brought some valuable antiques to hand.
- try one's hand (at), to test one's skill or aptitude for: After becoming a successful painter, he decided to try his hand at sculpture.
- turn or put one's hand to, to set to work at;
busy oneself with: He turned his hand successfully to gardening.
- wash one's hands of, to disclaim any further responsibility for;
renounce interest in or support of: I washed my hands of the entire affair.
- with a heavy hand:
- with severity;
oppressively: The law will punish offenders with a heavy hand.
- in a clumsy manner;
gracelessly: The play was directed with a heavy hand.
- with a high hand, in an arrogant or dictatorial manner;
arbitrarily: He ran the organization with a high hand.
- to deliver or pass with or as if with the hand.
- to help, assist, guide, etc., with the hand: He handed the elderly woman across the street.
- to take in or furl (a sail).
- to haul on or otherwise handle.
- hand down:
- to deliver (the decision of a court): The jury handed down a verdict of guilty.
- to transmit from one to another, esp. to bequeath to posterity: The ring had been handed down from her grandmother.
- hand in, to submit;
present for acceptance: She handed in her term paper after the deadline.
- hand in one's checks, [Chiefly Brit.]See cash (def. 7).
- hand it to, [Informal.]to give just credit to;
pay respect to: You have to hand it to her for getting the work out.
- hand off, [Football.]to hand the ball to a member of one's team in the course of a play.
- hand on, to transmit;
pass on to a successor, posterity, etc.: The silver service was handed on to the eldest daughter of the family.
- hand out, to give or distribute;
pass out: People were handing out leaflets on every corner.
- hand over:
- to deliver into the custody of another.
- to surrender control of: He handed over his business to his children.
- of, belonging to, using, or used by the hand.
- made by hand.
- carried in or worn on the hand.
- operated by hand;
Standstand (stand),USA pronunciation v., stood, stand•ing, n., pl. stands for 43–63, stands, stand for 64.
- (of a person) to be in an upright position on the feet.
- to rise to one's feet (often fol. by up).
- to have a specified height when in this position: a basketball player who stands six feet seven inches.
- to stop or remain motionless or steady on the feet.
- to take a position or place as indicated: to stand aside.
- to remain firm or steadfast, as in a cause.
- to take up or maintain a position or attitude with respect to a person, issue, or the like: to stand as sponsor for a person.
- to have or adopt a certain policy, course, or attitude, as of adherence, support, opposition, or resistance: He stands for free trade.
- (of things) to be in an upright or vertical position, be set on end, or rest on or as on a support.
- to be set, placed, fixed, located, or situated: The building stands at 34th Street and 5th Avenue.
- (of an account, score, etc.) to show, be, or remain as indicated;
show the specified position of the parties concerned: The score stood 18 to 14 at the half.
- to remain erect or whole;
resist change, decay, or destruction (often fol. by up): The ruins still stand. The old building stood up well.
- to continue in force or remain valid: The agreement stands as signed.
- to remain still, stationary, or unused: The bicycle stood in the basement all winter.
- to be or become stagnant, as water.
- (of persons or things) to be or remain in a specified state, condition, relation, relative position, etc.: He stood in jeopardy of losing his license.
- to have the possibility or likelihood: He stands to gain a sizable profit through the sale of the house.
- [Chiefly Brit.]to become or be a candidate, as for public office (usually fol. by for).
- to take or hold a particular course at sea.
- to move in a certain direction: to stand offshore.
- (of a male domestic animal, esp. a stud) to be available as a sire, usually for a fee: Three Derby winners are now standing in Kentucky.
- to cause to stand;
set: Stand the chair by the lamp.
- to face or encounter: to stand an assault.
- to undergo or submit to: to stand trial.
- to endure or undergo without harm or damage or without giving way: His eyes are strong enough to stand the glare.
- to endure or tolerate: She can't stand her father.
- to treat or pay for: I'll stand you to a drink when the manuscript is in.
- to perform the duty of or participate in as part of one's job or duty: to stand watch aboard ship.
- stand a chance or show, to have a chance or possibility, esp. of winning or surviving: He's a good shortstop but doesn't stand a chance of making the major leagues because he can't hit.
- stand by:
- to uphold;
support: She stood by him whenever he was in trouble.
- to adhere to (an agreement, promise, etc.);
affirm: She stood by her decision despite her sister's arguments.
- to stand ready;
wait: Please stand by while I fix this antenna.
- to get ready to speak, act, etc., as at the beginning of a radio or television program.
- to be ready to board a plane, train, or other transport if accommodations become available at the last minute.
- stand down:
- to leave the witness stand.
- to step aside;
withdraw, as from a competition: I agreed to stand down so that she could run for the nomination unopposed.
- to leave or take out of active work or service: to stand down some of the ships in the fleet.
- stand for:
- to represent;
symbolize: P.S. stands for "postscript.''
- to advocate;
favor: He stands for both freedom and justice.
- [Informal.]to tolerate;
allow: I won't stand for any nonsense!
- stand in with:
- to be in association or conspiracy with.
- to enjoy the favor of;
be on friendly terms with.
- stand off:
- to keep or stay at a distance.
- to put off;
- stand on:
- to depend on;
rest on: The case stands on his testimony.
- to be particular about;
demand: to stand on ceremony.
- [Naut.]to maintain a course and speed.
- stand out:
- to project;
protrude: The piers stand out from the harbor wall.
- to be conspicuous or prominent: She stands out in a crowd.
- to persist in opposition or resistance;
- [Naut.]to maintain a course away from shore.
- stand over:
- to supervise very closely;
watch constantly: He won't work unless someone stands over him.
- to put aside temporarily;
postpone: to let a project stand over until the following year.
- stand pat. See pat 2 (def. 6).
- stand to:
- to continue to hold;
persist in: to stand to one's statement.
- to keep at steadily: Stand to your rowing, men!
- to wait in readiness;
stand by: Stand to for action.
- stand to reason. See reason (def. 11).
- stand up:
- to come to or remain in a standing position: to stand up when being introduced.
- to remain strong, convincing, or durable: The case will never stand up in court. Wool stands up better than silk.
- [Slang.]to fail to keep an appointment with (someone, esp. a sweetheart or date): I waited for Kim for an hour before I realized I'd been stood up.
- stand up for:
- to defend the cause of;
support: No one could understand why he stood up for an incorrigible criminal.
- to serve a bridegroom or bride, as best man or maid (matron) of honor.
- stand up to, to meet or deal with fearlessly;
confront: to stand up to a bully.
- the act of standing;
an assuming of or a remaining in an upright position.
- a cessation of motion;
halt or stop.
- a determined effort for or against something, esp. a final defensive effort: Custer's last stand.
- a determined policy, position, attitude, etc., taken or maintained: We must take a stand on political issues.
- the place in which a person or thing stands;
- See witness stand.
- a raised platform, as for a speaker, a band, or the like.
- stands, a raised section of seats for spectators;
- a framework on or in which articles are placed for support, exhibition, etc.: a hat stand.
- a piece of furniture of various forms, on or in which to put articles (often used in combination): a nightstand; a washstand.
- a small, light table.
- a stall, booth, counter, or the like, where articles are displayed for sale or where some business is carried on: a fruit stand.
- newsstand: The papers usually hit the stands at 5 a.m.
- a site or location for business: After 20 years the ice-cream vendor was still at the same stand.
- a place or station occupied by vehicles available for hire: a taxicab stand.
- the vehicles occupying such a place.
- the growing trees, or those of a particular species or grade, in a given area.
- a standing growth, as of grass, wheat, etc.
- a halt of a theatrical company on tour, to give a performance or performances: a series of one-night stands on the strawhat trail.
- the town at which a touring theatrical company gives a performance.
- hive (def. 2).
- a rolling unit in a rolling mill.
- [Chiefly Brit.]a complete set of arms or accoutrements for one soldier.
- take the stand, to testify in a courtroom.
Shelfshelf (shelf ),USA pronunciation n., pl. shelves (shelvz).USA pronunciation
- a thin slab of wood, metal, etc., fixed horizontally to a wall or in a frame, for supporting objects.
- the contents of this: a shelf of books.
- a surface or projection resembling this;
- [Physical Geog.]
- a sandbank or submerged extent of rock in the sea or river.
- the bedrock underlying an alluvial deposit or the like.
- See continental shelf.
- [Archery.]the upper part of the bow hand, on which the arrow rests.
- off the shelf, readily available from merchandise in stock: Any of those parts can be purchased off the shelf.
- on the shelf, [Informal.]
- put aside temporarily;
- without prospects of marriage, as after having broken an engagement.
Bathroombath•room (bath′ro̅o̅m′, -rŏŏm′, bäth′-),USA pronunciation n.
- a room equipped for taking a bath or shower.
- toilet (def. 2).
- go to or use the bathroom, to use the toilet;
urinate or defecate.
Standingstand•ing (stan′ding),USA pronunciation n.
- rank or status, esp. with respect to social, economic, or personal position, reputation, etc.: He had little standing in the community.
- good position, reputation, or credit: He is a merchant of standing in the community.
- length of existence, continuance, residence, membership, experience, etc.: a friend of long standing.
- standings, a list of teams or contestants arranged according to their past records: According to the standings, the White Sox are leading the division by three games.
- the act of a person or thing that stands.
- a place where a person or thing stands.
- the right to initiate or participate in a legal action: having standing as a friend of the court.
- having an erect or upright position: a standing lamp.
- performed in or from an erect position: a standing jump.
not flowing or stagnant, as water;
- continuing without cessation or change;
lasting or permanent.
- continuing in operation, force, use, etc.: a standing rule.
- customary or habitual;
generally understood: We have a standing bridge game every Friday night.
- kept for use in subsequent printings: standing type.
- out of use;
idle: a standing engine.
- noting any of various objects or assemblages of objects fixed in place or position, unless moved for adjustment or repairs: standing bowsprit.
- [Knots.]noting the part of a rope that is in use and terminates in a knot or the like.
Bathbath1 (bath, bäth),USA pronunciation n., pl. baths (baᵺz, bäᵺz, baths, bäths),USA pronunciation v.
- a washing or immersion of something, esp. the body, in water, steam, etc., as for cleansing or medical treatment: I take a bath every day. Give the dog a bath.
- a quantity of water or other liquid used for this purpose: running a bath.
- a container for water or other cleansing liquid, as a bathtub.
- a room equipped for bathing;
bathroom: The house has two baths.
- a building containing rooms or apartments with equipment for bathing;
- Often, baths. one of the elaborate bathing establishments of the ancients: the baths of Caracalla.
- Usually, baths. a town or resort visited for medical treatment by bathing or the like;
- a preparation, as an acid solution, in which something is immersed.
- the container for such a preparation.
- a device for controlling the temperature of something by the use of a surrounding medium, as sand, water, oil, etc.
- the depressed hearth of a steelmaking furnace.
- the molten metal being made into steel in a steelmaking furnace.
- the state of being covered by a liquid, as perspiration: in a bath of sweat.
- take a bath, [Informal.]to suffer a large financial loss: Many investors are taking a bath on their bond investments.
- to wash or soak in a bath.
Andand (and; unstressed ənd, ən, or, esp. after a homorganic consonant, n),USA pronunciation conj.
- (used to connect grammatically coordinate words, phrases, or clauses) along or together with;
as well as;
in addition to;
moreover: pens and pencils.
- added to;
plus: 2 and 2 are 4.
- then: He read for an hour and went to bed.
- also, at the same time: to sleep and dream.
- then again;
repeatedly: He coughed and coughed.
- (used to imply different qualities in things having the same name): There are bargains and bargains, so watch out.
- (used to introduce a sentence, implying continuation) also;
then: And then it happened.
- [Informal.]to (used between two finite verbs): Try and do it. Call and see if she's home yet.
- (used to introduce a consequence or conditional result): He felt sick and decided to lie down for a while. Say one more word about it and I'll scream.
on the contrary: He tried to run five miles and couldn't. They said they were about to leave and then stayed for two more hours.
- (used to connect alternatives): He felt that he was being forced to choose between his career and his family.
- (used to introduce a comment on the preceding clause): They don't like each other--and with good reason.
- [Archaic.]if: and you please.Cf. an2.
- and so forth, and the like;
et cetera: We discussed traveling, sightseeing, and so forth.
- and so on, and more things or others of a similar kind;
and the like: It was a summer filled with parties, picnics, and so on.
- an added condition, stipulation, detail, or particular: He accepted the job, no ands or buts about it.
- conjunction (def. 5b).
Beyondbe•yond (bē ond′, bi yond′),USA pronunciation prep.
- on, at, or to the farther side of: Beyond those trees you'll find his house.
- farther on than;
more distant than: beyond the horizon; beyond the sea.
- outside the understanding, limits, or reach of;
past: beyond comprehension; beyond endurance; beyond help.
- superior to;
above: wise beyond all others.
- more than;
in excess of;
over and above: to stay beyond one's welcome.
- farther on or away: as far as the house and beyond.
- the beyond:
- that which is at a great distance.
- Also, the great beyond. the afterlife;
life after death.